Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Do you have your kids do weekly chores such as washing there bed sheets, cleaning the bathroom, etc?

I'm wondering how many parents do have there kids do weekly chores.My daughters 6%26amp;9yrs old do weekly chores my 9y.o daughter helps my 6y.o daughter teaching her how like to wash bedsheets using the washer and laundry.Do you have your kids do weekly chores such as washing there bed sheets, cleaning the bathroom, etc?
My teens know how to do the laundry, wash dishes, cook, vacuum, clean a bathroom, dust, sweep, take care of the animals.


They must clean their rooms and their bathroom..it has to be maintained weekly. They also help out doing their own laundry (if asked) and any other thing I might not have time to do. In this manner they will know how to maintain a clean home when they get their own, and they know helping out with the chores is just something families do. Everyone has responsibilities in my home...we might exchange some back and forth, but bartering is good to know how to do too.Do you have your kids do weekly chores such as washing there bed sheets, cleaning the bathroom, etc?
I find it very important to teach kids responsibility with chores. The kids had to save up for their rewards with points, not cash, however as they got older cash became more of the norm.





I started as soon as they could help, at around age two. Simple stuff like brush their teeth, things they had to do any way but rewarded them and kept a chart. Then I added things as they were able to.





A six year old can make their bed, pick up their toys, set the table for dinner, and clear the table. Dust the furniture, fold and put away the laundry and swifer the floors, plus pull weeds in the garden. Don't forget school work and keeping up their grades.





Your nine year old should be able to do all of the above plus the dishes, vacuum, clean the bathrooms, start laundry. There is not much they can't do, but I wasn't ready to let go of cutting the lawn until they were much older.





Mind you I wasn't that much of a slave driver. We had weekly and daily chores, and they got divided up equally, which meant that each child had about three things each week plus keeping up with their bed rooms. Plus if a child wanted to do more, they could take on more responsibility for greater reward, but they were not allowed to take it on for just one week, if they wanted more they had to take it on permanently or until they could justify needed to do less. We treated the house like the real world, and a real job.
To not teach your children that maintaining a household requires work is doing them a disservice. It teaches them responsibility and gives them a sense of ownership. I don't believe they should be paid for doing their chores because it takes away from the sense of responsibility. Though I do believe children should be given an age appropriate allowance.....because they need to begin to learn to manage / save money.
I don't have 'chores' but i'm still ordered to clean the whole house an a regular basis since my 'step mother' doesn't like to clean after herself... and i do my own laundry

No comments:

Post a Comment