Saturday, March 13, 2010

I want to dye my bed sheets?

I have an awesome set for my oh so comfy bed. The whole thing (sheets, duvet cover, bedskirt, shams) all 100% cotton 200 thread count. They are a very very light blue. Will dying them a deep, rich color have a good result?I want to dye my bed sheets?
Yes, because they are 100% cotton which takes dye well. I would use more dye than indicated and do the duvet cover, bedskirt and fitted and flat sheets in separate loads for the best color saturation. The shams and pillowcases can probably go in a load together if they are standard size. I would also set the dye by using vinegar in the rinse cycle and then every time you launder the pieces so that you don't get fade. I would use the hot water/washing machine method, check them frequently so that you don't have fabric bunched up where the dye can't get to and heat set the color in the dryer.I want to dye my bed sheets?
To get a good result, they have to be really clean and free of fabric softener. Read the instructions on the box and don't overload it. I have had good results when I have dyed something.
Becareful to wash them well after the dye has set so that they won't stain anything else, such as the matress if they get wet (sweat in your sleep or spill a drink of water)

No comments:

Post a Comment